Biodiversity data at the Genal Valley
Area to access data generated by the project.
All interested parties can contribute to the project, inhabitants of the area, students wanting to make a stay in the place, and travelers passing through.
We appreciate the collaboration of naturalists and specialists. This initiative is pluralistic and its advancement rests largely on the power of collective effort.
Hacho de Gaucin
IBMWP (aquatic macro-invertebrates surveys)
Study of aquatic macro-invertebrates.
Standardized study of river water quality with the Iberian Biological Monitoring Working Party (IBMWP) protocol.
Compiling published information and sampling river stretches.
Bibliography on biodiversity of the Genal Valley
Report in elaboration
We gather the information published to date on the biodiversity of the Genal Valley and the Serranía de Ronda to incorporate it into a database.
Point out the essential reference (two parts): Genal River Valley Floristic Catalog – 2003 – 2005 – by Gavira and Latorre.
All interested parties can send articles for reference.
A steep and rocky hill of limestone dominating the village of Gaucín. A perfect hike with wonderfull sceneries of the Genal and Guadiaro valleys, and no less attractive views of Gibraltar and Africa.
Highlights (fauna, fungi & flora)
- Large population of the Iberian Peony, Paeonia broteri.
- Seven species of orchids, including the rare Bumblebee Orchid, Ophrys bombyliflora.
- Griffon vultures, Gyps fulvus, flying over and beneath.
- Woodland birds and more raptors.
- Often difficult to see: Iberian ibex, Capra pyrenaica hispanica.
- In January-February: Almond blossom, Prunus dulcis.
- A nice variety of habitats in a short distance.
GFS surrounded with the cork oak forest.
The Genal Field Station is located next to the town of Benarraba, in the Serranía de Ronda, surrounded by a mixed forest, where cork oaks predominate, and small orchards.
We collaborate with Biodiversidad Virtual, the oldest platform in Spain for citizen science and biodiversity, by posting photos of species present in the GFS.
Small vegetable gardens (“huertas”) below the GFS.
Citizen science databases on the Internet
Citizen science initiatives on the web are the easiest way to know which species have been recently reported at the Genal and surrounding areas. Our project seeks to contribute most actively to Observation.org.
“Observado Andalucía“, the Andalusian subsite for Observation.org
Closest natural areas from GFS:
- Spain – Cañón de las Buitreras
- Spain – Ciudad de Ronda
- Spain – Nacimiento del Rio Genal
- Spain – Paraje Natural Los Reales de Sierra Bermeja
- Spain – Paraje Natural Sierra Crestellina
- Spain – Parque Natural Los Alcornocales
- Spain – Parque Natural Sierra de Grazalema
- Spain – Parque Natural Sierra de las Nieves
- Spain – Pinsapo de las Escaleretas
- Spain – Ríos Guadiaro y Hozgarganta
- Spain – Sierra del Hacho
- Spain – Sierras Bermeja y Real
- Spain – Valle del Río del Genal
Hotspots close to the Genal:
- Llanos de Libar, Área General
- Sierra de las Nieves PNat–Área General
- Sierra Crestellina
- Embalse de la Cancelada del Taraje
Estuary of the Guadiaro river:
- Estuario del Río Guadiaro
- Sotogrande – Laguna de las Camelias
- Río Guadiaro – San Enrique
- Sotogrande–Margen Este Río Guadiaro
(Pendiente: añadir Biodiversidad Virtual, Natusfera y GBIF)